Thursday, July 31, 2014

Music I Am Currently Groovin' To

Back Story: You may not know that I love music. I crave a good tune like people crave chocolate or booze. It changes my moods, helps me concentrate, and generally gets me to a zen state that only cooking/baking can get me to. In terms of genre, I like to think I am eclectic with strong indie leanings. My iTunes is a mis-mash of everything, often confusing the people going through it ("Oh! You have Britney Spears... and the entire Nine Inch Nails Discography... And Richard Cheese... huh."). A lady needs music for every mood and situation. This aids me in making killer mix cds and playlists for long car rides, I have something for everyone.

So that brings me to today's post. It's a theme I'll probably continue with often as I discover good music or fall back on old favorites that make my bones happy. Lately, I have been grooving to some excellent ditties and I'd like to share them with you.

Albums:
These are some albums (instead of like... one or two songs) I can't get enough of right meow:
  • Bastille: Bad Blood. British indie pop/rock at its finest. Super catchy in a non-infuriating way. First time listening to them? Give Pompeii or the title track Bad Blood a go.
  • Fitz and The Tantrums: More Than Just a Dream. Indie pop/neo soul. A little dancy in addition to catchy. First time listening to them? Try The Walker on for size.
  • Brett Dennen: Smoke and Mirrors. Considered folk pop. Whiny, nerdy, goodness. *sigh* I LOVE his whiny, ginger voice so much. New to Brett? Wild Child is my JAM.
  • Crosby, Stills, and Nash: Greatest Hits. Folk rock. CSN (and occaisonally Y) make harmonies that stir my soul. Goose bump inducing. It is the sound of angels. Fucking angels. New to the glory of CSN? Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Our House, and Southern Cross are excellent starters. You're welcome.
  • Lorde: Pure Heroine. I love that they are classifying this as "dream pop". I don't even know what that means, but I dig it. For a teen, Lorde has this music thing on LOCK. Songs are very catchy but not in the typical pop way. New to Lorde? IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? HAVE YOU BEEN UNDER A ROCK? ROYALS HAS BEEN EVERYWHERE. Well, if you are, skip Royals. Go straight to Team or Tennis Court.

Songs:
**I haven't watched most of these videos. #sorrynotsorry if they are weird.
 
  • Milky Chance: Stolen Dance. I just want to dance in my chair at work everytime this is on.
  • The 1975: Chocolate. I love when I can hear your accent while you sing. I want to dance awkwardly. Like, Ministry of Silly Walks but through dance. Also, there is a FANFUCKINGTASTIC acoustic version of this out in the cosmos.
  • Lucius: Turn It Around. Girl group vibe with an indie sound. *tear*
  • Kongos: Come With Me Now. There is something tribal...almost feral about my reaction to this song. I feel like it awakens my blood. Did I seriously just say that? #iamthatdouchebag
  • Lana del Rey: West Coast. It took me a few months to come around to this. After Videogames I was done with Ms. del Rey. Alas, her smokey voice has seduced my senses. Well played, lady.
  • Weird Al: Word Crimes. This. All of this. The animation is perfection in the video. And I like it so much more than the original. GTFO, Robin Thicke.

Not the most eclectic list. *shrug* It's still full of good jams.
Got some tunes you can't get enough of? Leave it in the comments.
Happy listening!
-MPA

No comments:

Post a Comment