Monday, February 2, 2015

Targets New Target?

Can I start this off with explaining that I love shopping at Target? The cartwheel app is brilliant and I can shop their clearance like a mofo. It's what I  do. I am cheap as hell.

So there I am my friendly neighborhood Target, with The Husband, shopping for some essentials. Bless the one stop shopping value of having the deodorant and the shaving accouterments in one aisle. I get to the end, near the intersection of liquid hand soap and there, on the side of the end cap, is what can only be described as my own personal nightmare: a line of 50 Shades of Grey...products.


Blindfolds.

Massage oil.




Cock rings.
Vibrating cock rings.

Target, you can't fool me by calling it a love ring or a pleasure ring, or whatever else you want to call it. There is no denying what it is.

I stopped, dead in my tracks. "Holy shit!"
Assuming something was wrong, The Husband voiced his concern and wanted to know what it was.
I explained, between laughing, what it was. He seemed not to believe me. I pulled it off the rack and showed him.

"Its a fucking cock ring. A 50 Shades of Grey cock ring. There is no denying what it is. Amirite?"
We were in agreement. There, in a family friendly aisle, no where near the lube, condoms, etc. was a chintzy cock ring.

Target, you ain't foolin' nobody.

Should I have been upset at a sex toy in a regular, non-sex themed section of the store? *Shrug* If anything, I found it hilarious...and a trifle bit sad. Not only is it a cheap, most likely one time use...item, its branded for 50 Shades.

No. I didn't read it. It got its start as Twilight fanfic. I can't respect that. I am a book snob. 

From what I understand, it is also a piss poor representation of BDSM relationships that borders on abuse instead of actual BDSM. Unrealistic portrayal of a life style that is often viewed negatively doesn't help the cause. And, if it does portray abuse rather than BDSM that is a serious issue. Abuse shouldn't be glorified or fetishized. It shouldn't be the basis of a mainstream best seller, turned into a movie, with a line of readily available products that blur the line in a store like Target. If you are into it, go to a reputable adult store instead of supporting this franchise (the books/movies, not Target).

TL;DR? 
Target has cheap cock rings/50 Shades of Grey is dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment