Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Cable is a Beautiful Thing

**Author's note: BAHAHAHAHAHA. I started this and never finished it. It has been sitting in my drafts since APRIL. So terribly sorry. I have spruced it up for you with some updated choices. -MPA**

The Husband and I have spent the majority of our relationship without cable. When we moved in November, we decided to take the plunge. it has been a beautiful, magical thing. I am a Food Network junkie and am so excited to be able to watch it again. But I have discovered some new shows as well as some old favorites.

If you are looking for a new show, I suggest:

If you like reality tv contests- RuPaul's Drag Race on Logo. We are about halfway through season 7 and it's fabulous. I started watching around season 2 and then stopped for a bit due to not having the channel. I have been glued to it since Season 5, watching online until now. It is funny, sometimes moving, and full of drag queens prettier than I could ever dream of being. It is now my goal to die and be reincarnated as a drag queen. **The season is over and it was beautiful. Katya is perfection. I highly suggest catching up on this. AND they are re-airing season 4 starting sometime this month. Season 4 is HILARIOUS.**  I am also partial to The Next Food Network Star, a show I hope to one day be on and CRUSH IT.

If you like comedy and/or crime shows- Backstrom on Fox. This series follows a special crimes unit in Portland that is lead by Lt. Backstrom. Based off a series of Swedish crime novels, the titular character is played by Rainn Wilson who marries the comedy with the dramatic so well. It is as if his character on The Office was raised by an asshole cop and became an ...slightly less asshole cop, but HILARIOUS. **This season is over and I am sorry to have to tell you all that it is not being renewed. If you can find it online to watch, DOOOO IT. Alternative? GET THE BOOKS.**

Prefer really AWFUL humor, I mean like walking the line of unacceptable in all social circles? Another Period on Comedy Central is for you. The first episode aired 6/23 and let's just say it included: Meredith from the office, Riki Lindhome, David Koechner, Christina Hendricks... Someone playing Helen Keller and copious amounts of cocaine wine. Not sold? it takes place in Newport, RI in 1902 and follows a wealthy family and all of the insanity that comes with climbing social ladders. The set and costumes are period specific but the music is hip hop. Give it a try. Be horrified, amused, and ashamed to have watched it... Not necessarily in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment