Wednesday, August 12, 2015

TBT #11: Books 5-13 and a Reading Challenge

For anyone keeping up with the math, I have hit 30.I woke up, found some grey hairs, and internally wept for my youth. Clearly, I didn't finish my TBT list, and decided to go for a different TBT - Thirty-five before Thirty-Five. While some revision of the list will be done, I am keeping the book goal and realized I have not only been terrible at keeping track of what I have read but also haven't done a review in AGES. Since book 4. I have tracked up to 13 but know I missed some along the way. #yolo

And, yes, I do count re-reads. Rereading a book is often as amazing as the first read, if not better. There is so much more detail you become open to because you aren't necessarily lost in plot.

Looking for some suggestions or some books to stay the eff away from? Check out the list below for some options.

But that can't be all, right? We certainly can't have a post without me pulling out a soapbox, can we? Well, we can. Today just isn't that day. Feel free to scroll right to the reviews if you would prefer. :)

Looking at the 13 books I have reviewed, I noticed approx. half were by women. White, cisgender women. The other half? White, cisgender men. Huzzah for the split of gender but where is the rest of the representation?

Schools often teach books by a lot of dead white men. I have decided to challenge myself, for the rest of the year to not read another book by a white, cisgender male author. There are so many authors out there that are not getting the credit they so richly deserve because they are women or non-white or non-binary in terms of gender or because they are trans. I am taking a stand to devote my time and resources to finding authors that break that mold. The only exceptions I will make are when the book club I am in votes for a white, cisgender male.Naturally, I will post reviews along the way. Please feel free to comment with suggestions.

Anyone feeling adventurous in reading? I challenge you to do the same. Maybe not for the rest of the year, but even just for your next book. Expand your horizons. Enrich your soul with words you may have never thought to read before.

For anyone who is confused by the term cisgender, it is most easily described as identifying with the sex you were assigned at birth. An example is someone who's sex is assigned male at birth and who's gender identity matches that, they are cisgender. Don't worry, I am sure this will be a topic of discussion at some point here.

-MPA

5. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
 
I have been known to love some truly terrible books. Especially those about the supernatural. I bought this hardcover in the clearance section of Barnes and Nobel. I understood why it was there after reading it. While there were nice scenes and moments of well crafted writing, the book overall was fairly sophomoric. At times, I found it hilariously bad. Conceptually interesting, my hope is for anyone who reads on that they following books in the trilogy are better written. 2.5 out of 5. Would probably read the second book, providing I got it for free or heavily discounted.
 
 
6. A Lion Among Men (Book 3 of The Wicked Years) by Gregory Maguire
 



Can I start this off by saying I love Gregory Maguire? Because I do. Literally everything this man touches is fucking magic. Except this. I have 2 copies of this book. It took me approximately 6 years to read this book. 6 YEARS. Most of Maguire's books grab me from the beginning and hook me immediately. Lion did not do that. It seemed to drag forever. While I am sure it is a necessary step to the final Wicked book, Out of Oz, my experience with this book has actually stymied my progress with OoO. I fear reading it because Wicked and Son of a Witch have always been so important to me. Lion is a lot of exposition with little reward. Yackle steals the show but that is pretty normal for Yackle. 2.5 out of 5. Would not read again, but am happy I own it to complete the series.


7. Lost on Planet China by J. Maarten Troost
Like Maguire, I can't get enough of Troost. This is his third book, all of which are travel writing but this is his first time straying from writing about the South Pacific. He captures your attention immediately and holds it until the very end. Troost's prose is inviting, hilarious, and leads to fantastic imagery in your head while reading. Lost is Troost's solo trip through China, and not just areas we Americans are familiar with. He is fearless with his honesty, never shying away from the political conditions or the conditions of the air/streets/common public places. Troost may point out how different the Chinese are from Americans and he certainly points out the pollution issues, but he never fails to treat the people and China with respect. 5 out of 5. Would read again.



8. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (re-read?)

I am not sure if this was a reread for me or if I just watched the movie adaptation so much I felt like it was. My first few chapters in, I was not happy. I kept wondering why the language used was so... basic. I completely forgot this wasn't a just a classic, it was a children's classic. Duh. Once I got past my own stupidity, the book was beautiful. Mary's growth from petulant, spoiled child to someone who can be compassionate is touching and a wonderful lesson to those reading it. 5 out of 5. Would read again, preferably aloud to a little one.
 
 
9. Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns by Lauren Weisberger
 
This is one of those books that I HAD to read. I read the first one and loved it for everything (and please excuse my use of this phrase as it bothers the shit out of me but I have no other way to describe it) "chick lit" about it. Weisberger's characters are always easy to relate to and are easy to read. Her books are fast paced and Revenge follows that pattern. In this book, we return 10 years after we left The Devil Wears Prada and reunite with Andy and get to see where life after Miranda brought her. The ending was, for me, a little predictable but I would genuinely endorse this as a good read if you are looking for something a little less serious or a good beach read. It was interesting to see where the characters were at after a decade as well as how they have grown and the connections they made. Be warned: You won't be able to stop picture Meryl Streep as Miranda, no matter how hard you try. #StreepisQueen 3.5 out of 5. Would read again on a flight or the beach.
 
 
10. The Pearl by John Steinbeck (re-read)
TBH - I hated this book in 7th grade. Now? Pretty much the same. That being said, this novel is rich with imagery and symbolism. I find the story to move slowly as well as not very engaging. Being able to read it as an adult did provide a different experience, one where I could analyze it better and get a deeper meaning. 2 out of 5. Would prefer not to read again.
 
 
11. The Skull Throne (Book 4 of the Demon Cycle) by Peter V. Brett
 
The Demon Cycle series is fucking fantastic (ba dum tsssss. That is punny). It is a fantasy series that is written superbly. It has strong characters that are men, women, of multiple races, and gay. Brett has created a world based off of our own, that is in the future but is in so many ways both less and more advanced. He even created a second language for one of the races *swoon*. In this installment, there is a lot of exposition but the last 150 pages are jam packed with action. As always, Brett leaves you on the edge of your seat, staring over the cliff he so devilishly enjoys leaving you hanging on. My only complaint? The US cover features a character named Renna, one of the most bad-assiest bad asses in the books but she is not featured NEARLY enough to warrant being the cover. I was a tad bit let down over that. 5 out of 5. Will definitely read again.
 
 
12. Tough Sh*t by Kevin Smith
 
The cat is out of the bag. I LIVE for dick and fart jokes. Just as my co-workers. Whether it is old Sandler movies or anything Kevin Smith puts his paws on, I am there. Tough Sh*t is an interesting read. The writing is decent and the story engaging. You are taken through Smith's start at Miramax to where he is now, which is pretty fascinating stuff, especially when he gets into his run-ins with the Westboro Baptist Church. I found the time line while reading to be a bit skewed and the chapters skewed in terms of chronological order. This is a small detail but one the gets under my skin when reading. 3 out of 5. Would probably not read again.
 
 
13. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Series, book 1) by Steig Larsson (re-read)
 
 
I have read this book about 4 times. It never ceases to capture my attention and bombard my senses. It is exquisite. Larsson brings to life beautifully flawed characters in a way that makes you love them more for their imperfections. This novel, is so feminist it hurts (in a good way). Yes, there are rape scenes and no, they are not comfortable to read. However, they work as a driving force in the novel instead of being gratuitous. The original title's translation to English is not the book's title. Instead, it is called "Men Who Hate Women." THIS IS SO IMPORTANT. Each section of the book lists facts and statistics about crimes against women. These were left in the translation but the title was changed, I assume for marketability. The original title makes a million times more sense as you work your way through the novel. Larsson, unfortunately, died before finishing his series (he had a partial book 4, and outlines for up to 10 books) but there is a new book coming out picking the characters up again but not using the original author's outlines. I assume it will be trash, but will probably read it at some point. 10 out of 5. Will always re-read if the opportunity presents itself. 












2 comments:

  1. Two books I like by woman authors-

    the secret life of bees
    by sue monk kidd

    the glass castle
    by jeanette walls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE The Secret Life of Bees. <3 It is so good.

    Thanks for the suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete