Monday, March 24, 2014

Burrito Queen

I love Dunkin Donuts. Seriously. I live for their croissants and don't get me started on their pumpkin spice coffee or peppermint mocha lattes. It's not that I don't like Starbucks or local coffee shops. I do. A lot. Dunks is just uber convenient as I pass 3 on my way to work.

Reading my sister-in-law's blog (
http://theloudandclear.com/) when I came across an entry about frozen burritos. I adore burritos. You can wrap anything in a tortilla and boom! Tasty treats. Amirite? I had also been cruising Pinterest for easy make ahead breakfast ideas. It was time to break up with Dunks. It's doing no favors for my ass or my wallet and this seemed like an inexpensive yet satisfying alternative.

The first round I made were with Trader Joe's breakfast sausage. Its a beautifully made chicken sausage that is lightly seasoned and has a slightest whisper of maple to it. It isn't super greasy or heavy when you eat it. I highly suggest it if you are in TJ's and cruisin' for a new b-fast meat. For round two, I asked the hubs which he'd prefer-Bacon or Sausage. I think it's the worst choice he's ever had to make. Bacon won. Deep down, I knew bacon would win. Bacon makes everything better.

Below is a picture-filled tutorial of how I made them, from cooking to storing. Keep in mind that this works for any type of burrito you are jonsing for. It makes for a quick meal at any time. While the ones below weren't made with being healthy as the ultimate goal, they could easily be tailored for that. Follow the read more link for the how to.

Pardon our charred, ancient stove!

Happy eating!
-MPA


Breakfast Burritos

Software (any ingredients needed):
-3 lbs of potatos (I like gold potatos but use what makes you happy), peel if you please.
-1 dozen eggs
-Shredded cheese (about a cup or so), whatever you have on hand--this week was sharp cheddar
-1 package of bacon or sausage (feel free to use less! I only ended up using 3/4 as I needed bacon for something else)
-Half a large onion (I used a pre-cut package from TJ's of onions, shallots, and garlic.)
-4 tablespoons of minced garlic
-3-4 large baby portobello mushrooms(feel free to use more! This was only for half of the burritos)
-2 handfuls of spinach (feel free to use more! This was only for half)
-Scallions, about 4-5
-8 TJ's Habanero Lime tortillas (or any other that striker your fancy)
-6 TJ's Brown Rice tortillas (these are great and gluten free)
-Butter, around 4 tablespoons-divided
-Olive oil (or bacon grease, or your preferred oil to cook with. This week, it was bacon grease)
-Water to cover potates
-Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder (chili powder is totes optional)
-Hot sauce, optional (I prefer either Tapatio or TJ's Chili Pepper hot sauce)

Hardware (any tools needed):
-1 large pot
-1 frying pan
-Strainer
-Bowls: 1 small bowl, 2 medium-ish bowls, and 2 large bowls
-Knife
-Cutting board
-Large slotted spoon
-Plate with paper towels for bacon draining

How To:

I like to start with the potates. (Yes, it is intentional.I like to call them potates. #sorrynotsorry) As you can see, TJ's brand is as sassy as I am.
Give them a good wash and peel. Then dice them up! I like to start with some water in the pot. I used the medium bowl as a measurement. Very percise. Salt the water. Then salt the water again if you are shy. This is your first chance to season them, so do it up. Turn them on high and let them do their thang.
Next, cut up your veggies. I have DEPLORABLE knife skills so everything looks... Rustic. Give everything a "rough" chop. By all means, get cray and do some fancy knife tricks. I just happen to know my limits. Put these guys to the side, separtely. Take any scraps (stems of mushrooms, bottoms of scallions, onion peel and anything you didn't cut/won't use) into a freezer bag. These are great for stock! With the holidays coming as well as winter, stock has a million uses. I don't like to add the spinach stems as the hubs isn't a spinach fan. Don't be shy about the peels and weird "hairy" side of the onoin/scallion. A lot of flavor is locked up in there and they'll be strained out of your stock anyway. Stock sidebar over.


Time for bacon! Being from New England, we love us some apple cider. Apple cider cured bacon is the best bacon I have ever had.

The flavor it adds is tangy and sweet at the same time with a lighter feeling than applewood smoked or maple flavored bacons. My profound apologies if this luscious option isn't available to you. Use your favorite bacon or bacon substitute.


I like to cut it in thin strips while it is still stacked together. Make sure not to over crowd the pan with the stacks. Give them a few minutes to heat up. Some fat will render and you can go in with your spoon to break them up. Check your potates. Jab them with a fork. If the fork goes in easily, pull one out, blow on it, and try it. If it is soft and easily mashable, it's done. I really should have timed this. When done, drain, and keep in the strainer.

When the bacon is done/as crispy or chewy as you like it, scoop it out and onto the plate with paper towels. At this point, my potates were done. I poured the grease directly into the empty potato pan. You can use butter, olive oil, or whatever your preference is. Our jar of grease was pretty full so I decided to use it for the starch portion of cooking as well. If you have more bacon to cook, make sure you run a sponge over the side and bottom of the frying pan to get and grease left on the outside of the pan. No grease fires, please. Repeat until all the bacon is cooked.

Get the pot o' fat going on medium heat. Give it a minute or 2 to start warming up, then add the onion and 2 tablespoons of garlic (add more if you are feeling frisky). Stir it so everything is coated and turn your attention to the frying pan. Melt down a tablespoon of butter and add a table spoon of garlic. Add in the mushrooms and give then a stir so they are coated. Shake in some salt and pepper. Adding this will give them a hint of extra flavor without taking away from the earthy, almost meaty flavor of the portobellos. Stir every few minutes.

Once the onions are translucent, stir in the potates that have been patiently waiting in the strainer. You can certainly cook the onions down more, so they are carmelized. If you are doing this, hold off on mixing the garlic in. Garlic that browns too much becomes bitter. Stir the potato/onion/garlic/grease mixture together. Add a few dashes each of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Mix together and taste. You can add more if you desire. the key is to start small with the spices. You can always add more but can never take it out. Let this sit on medium heat, mixing every few minutes. I don't let them get crispy even though I like crispy homefries.
Now, we multi-task! Check the mushrooms. They should have reduced in size and the flesh should have changed from white to a mucky brown. If so, spoon them out into a medium sized bowl. In the same pan, melt down the second tablespoon of butter and add garlic. Stir the potates while you melt the butter down. Once the butter is melted, add your spinach, give it a quick stir, then go back to the potatos. If they are catching on/sticking to the bottom, you can stream in a little oil or add a pat of butter if you want to cook them longer. Give them a taste. If you are happy with the consistency and flavor, turn the burner off.

By now, your spinach should have started to wilt.
Spinach reduces tremendously when cooked so keep that in mind if you want some in all of your burritos. Stir it around and season it with a little salt and pepper, mixing so it gets on all the leaves. Turn the heat off and spoon it into the bow with the mushrooms. Mix together. Spoon the finished home not-so-fries into a large bowl.

While these cool, it's time to start the eggs. I like to do them six at a time. Break them into a medium bowl. Whisk! Add a splash of milk or cream. Whisk! Add a dash of salt and pepper. Whisk! Now, add a tablespoon of butter to the large pot or frying pan on medium heat. Either will work just fine. Once it has melted, add the unborn... I mean eggs. I like to give it a few minutes so the bottom gets opaque/looks kind of cooked. Add half the scallions, cheese, and bacon. Mix! I like to move the pot/pan around to make sure the runny raw parts get to the heat/. Mix a few times a minute until they are cooked through. Spoon into a the last large bowl. Repeat with the other half. Let it cool for a few minutes in the bowl, then get ready for the wrapture! (Awful pun FTW!)

Grab your tortillas. Pro trip: heat them up. They are so much easier to work with once warm. You can toss the in a 400 degree oven, wrapped in foil for a 5-10 minutes. Wrapping with a damp paper towl and

Picture
The top stack has been charred, the bottom ones are waiting to meet the burner.
Lay your tortilla on a cutting board. Take the slotted spoon you've been using all day. About an inch up from the bottom lay down a line of potates, then a line of the egg mixture, but make sure you leave a little room on the sides. This is also where I add hot sauce. Or, for myself, add the spinach and mushrooms.
Now, fold an' roll!
Ain't it pretty?
Then
microwaving for a minute will also do the trick. My preferred method is to heat them on the stove. Gas stove to be exact. Toss it on the burner and turn on. You'll hear it start to crackle and smell it charring. Flip with thongs or turn off the burner and flip. Turn the heat back on. You'll see the tortilla puff up a little. Switch off and repeat. If you are not careful, they will catch. I like to live dangerously. roll it in foil. I roll it once, then fold in the sides, and continue to roll. At this pint, I like to label them. I label what kind of burrito (b-fast or whatever), the date, who it's for, and if there is hot sauce. Toss it in a large freezer bag and freeze it.
To reheat: toss in the oven still wrapped in foil. I put mine in at 350 and it took FOREVER. Quicker route: Grab a paper towel and run water over it. squeeze out excess water, wrap up the burrito, and microwave for 3 minutes. I like to turn it halfway through. Feel it or cut it to check the inside and microwave longer if need be. Wrap back up in the foil for transport to your desk or where ever you plan to eat this tasty treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment